It's amazing how many feelings can arise , how much pondering and inevitable growing can happen in the midst of making a little something handmade. I decided to put worn out towels to use for batting in his bibs. The towels I chose were ones we purchased from Walmart back in 2008 in preparation for Fulton's birth. I remember buying the cheapest ones we could find planning to throw them away after the delivery. I recall being amazed at how white they came out of the drier after following Beth's instructions to add 1 brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide to the wash cycle. No evidence whatsoever of Fulton's birth remained on those towels and we used them as our bath towels at a time when we were perfectly content with the gifts God had given us. I was overjoyed to learn that our family would have another growth spurt and that I'd be able to use those towels again for their original purpose. In all my meditations on the birth of Dominic, I never imagined and therefore never prepared myself for the delivery that actually took place. As I made the bibs for him I pondered the differences between the births of 2 brothers. I cut into those towels the way they cut into me to bring Dominic safely into the world. As I tried my hand at sewing curved seams for the first time I thought about how I was stitched up by a doctor with very capable hands and a gentle empathedic heart. And when the bibs were finally finished I presented my little one with a gift, grateful for the precious gift our birth team had given me. Months after his birth I finally felt at peace with our birth story. By the simple act of creating with my hands, my heart became open to God's grace and my soul was healed. And that is the power and the beauty of handmade.
I loved this tutorial for patchwork bibs and heartedly recommend it for beginner sewists. It was very clear and easy for me to understand. It's a great project for learning basic techniques such as cutting patchwork into shapes as well as notching and sewing curved seams. I couldn't get my printer to make the template exactly the size it needed to be (it was off by 3/4 inch) so I simply cut a piece of paper and taped it in between the two pattern pieces to give it the extra 3/4 inch height it needed. Fabrics were a combination from my stash of Michael Miller, Good Folks, Katie Jump Rope and Moda's Happy Campground. I used flannel receiving blankets for the backing and worn out towels with history for batting.